Friday, July 16, 2010

San Christobal and Oaxaca

Well, I'm back in Puerto Vallarta for my last week in Mexico. I had a great last few days on the road. Took a couple of night buses which was interesting. It was easy to sleep except that they had numerous police checks...I even had to produce my passport. This was in the region of the Zapatista rebels so the police presence is supposed to stop their activities but it just seemed like a movie to me. I would be sleeping and then a man would be asking me for identification.

The home of the Zapatistas, San Christobal. They seemed to be more interested in selling Che Gueuvera t-shirts and as you can see, Buddhism has come to the area.



Oaxaca is the cultural center of the country, or so I'm told. It was a pretty place with lots of wide open spaces and churches. Everytime I went around a corner, there were musicians, markets, sidewalk cafes...it felt relaxed and cozy with the possibility of excitement.



Took a tour to see some Zapatec weavers which was really cool. Learned how they get the colors and weave the rugs. Of course, all the work is done by women while the men herd the sheep.



I spent a lot of time in the main square, watching people and drinking delicious Oaxacan chocolate. Every two minutes, another person would come up and ask if I wanted to buy something but they went away with a polite 'no, gracias'.





It's good to be out of hotels now so I'm going to relax for a few days and hit the beach.

No comments: