Sunday, July 4, 2010

Creel

Creel is my favorite place so far. It's high up in the mountains and the air is cool and pine-scented. The whole place feels fresh and looks like a park. I stayed in a log cabin guest house and rented a scooter to get around. I could easily see myself living there (except for the lack of jobs and shopping).

The local indios are called Raramuri and the women still wear their colorful traditional clothing for everyday life. Almost all the men look like cowboys with hats and boots. They are primarily farmers but a lot of the women and children sell handmade crafts to the tourists. It was a bit sad to see the runny nosed little kids hawking their necklaces but everyone looks very healthy and I think their lives aren't too bad.



The whole area is filled with bizzare rock formations and incredible vistas...I couldn't stop smiling the whole time I was riding around. I actually wanted to go on a horseback riding tour but they needed a minimum number and I would have had to wait for a day or two. In the end, it didn't matter how I got around because the views were just so incredible.







For those of you in the know about my 'phalic' photo wall, you'll see that I really hit paydirt here.

No comments: