Friday, July 9, 2010

Chichen Itza

Got on an early local bus to beat the tour buses and made it out to Chichen Itza this morning. It was hot and humid but the site was like walking in a park with trees conveniently lining all the paths. I have to say that I was impressed. It was better than Egyptian pyramids but not quite as good as Angkor Wat. It would have been a bit better if there hadn't been ropes around almost every ruin but I had gotten my fill of climbing the day before so I was content to sneak around listening to other group's guides and take pictures.

Got lucky with the weather in the morning but just before I was leaving the thunder and lightening started up. Thought I would be clever and video a bit of it and got caught in a downpour that turn the whole place into a lake. My clothes were soaked through in less than two minutes and the $3 raincoat I bought was 'too little too late' to save me. It was kind of funny standing under the trees, watching the lighting strike and the tourists scamper behind their guides.

Jaguar Temple



Temple of a thousand pillars...for real







The big honking deal


No comments: