Sunday, July 11, 2010

Campeche

I spent the day in Campeche waiting for a night bus to San Cristobel. It's a pretty UNESCO world heritage town on the carribean with high fortress walls that protected them from pirates back in the day. It took being sacked several times before getting around to building the huge stone walls.

I was able to spend Saturday night on the square and got to watch some...interesting performances as well as their own brand of bingo being played at large tables. I found out the next day that the 'bingo' was started by a cigarette company and was so popular that it has become a weekly obsession.

I ate tamales, Mayan style, wrapped in leaves and then for dessert, I had a frozen coconut drink/shake/sundae that I have no idea what to call...I just asked for what the woman in front of me had and got it...delicious.

The 'bingo' cards with bottle caps to mark the called squares



The Saturday night bingo game on the square



A look inside a 17th century Spanish merchant home



What a pretty town with blocks and blocks of these colourful buildings...a peak behind the facades reveals a tired and worn place that looks its 400 year old age

No comments: