Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Georgia

Savannah, Georgia, a grand sedate old lady of the south...unless you show up on St. Patrick's Day in which case you will find the citizens reeling drunkenly through the streets dressed in every shade of green imaginable.

I went around and looked at some of the historical monuments although a few of them were decorated with green garland and surrounded by stages or beer stands. I counted seven stages around town and heard Sweet Home Alabama played three times... Everyone was friendly and wanted to chat. The one's I spoke with thought it was funny that a tourist had shown up on the only day of the year where the tourism offices and tours are closed but thought that the cheap beer would make up for it. Sadly, I had to drive.



Even the riverboats got into the festival by spraying green water into the air. Some of the fountains around town also had green water.



After walking the streets of Ireland-reborn for a couple of hours, I got back on the road to catch my first glimpse of the Atlantic Ocean on Hilton Head Island; an exclusive getaway for the very wealthy. I went to the swankest Starbucks I've ever seen and took my coffee to a desserted windswept beach for a walk.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ahem...I think I see a shot of Candy Store. Thanks for throwing us a bone. Nice pics.