Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Nazca Lines

Over 10,000 lines and 100 geoglyphs cover the Nazca dessert area of 500 sq. miles so I was rather surprised to learn from my tour guide that the local school kids don't even really know about them...I wonder what they think all the tourists are flying around looking at?

So, this is how it works. You pay for a flight and they bring you out to the airport at 6:30am where you wait and wait and wait until the kilograms per airplane load work out for you to get on a flight. Apparently it used to be easier but the planes kept crashing and killing all the tourists so now they only let a few 'certified' airlines operate....come to think of it, that wait wasn't really so long.

Then you fly around for 35 minutes straining to see the figures out your window. It was actually pretty cool but some passengers got sick from the dipping and rolling of the plane. I got to practice my Spanish as the pilot shouted out the names and then I tried to figure out what I was looking at. Surprisingly, astronaut is the same in both languages.


1 comment:

Great Nazca Tours said...

check this link Great Nazca Tours,a local travel agency