Saturday, November 13, 2010

The Colca Canyon

To plan my two trip into the Colca Canyon, I went to a travel agent. Our conversation went something like this;

"I would like to visit the Colca Canyon."

"You have several different options." He says with a big smile. "The first option, we will pick you up at 3:00am."

"In the morning!!!" I exclaimed in horror.

He kept smiling while shuffling his papers. "The second option is a two day trek. You know the Colca Canyon is very beautiful and also is the second deepest canyon in the world."

"Uh, how deep is it?"

"Approximately 4000 meters but don't worry, you will only climb around 2000 meters." He brightens his smile.

"Yeah, um, I don't think that's going to work out me. What's option number three?"

"Well, you will take a minibus with 14 other passengers. On the first day you will relax in the mountain hot springs and have a buffet lunch. There will be entertainment that evening...."

At this point, I'm wondering why he didn't lead with this option and quickly stop him to say, "Where do I sign", before he terrifies me with herding llamas over the edge of the cliffs.

Two days with bus, tour guide and hotel cost $50 and yes, there were hot springs but absolutely no llama herding.

colcacanyon 029 Check out the adorable llama and lady…the way she’s wearing her hat down in the front indicates that she’s married…presumably not to the llama.colcacanyon 007 These are vicunas which are the softer cousin to the llama…very rare and protected by the government. A kilo of their hair goes for $500…guess I won’t be getting one of those sweaters.colcacanyon 020

Bizarrely, after driving through kilometres of dust and more dust, a huge bog appeared. This is where all the cool critters hang out, including pink flamingos and, apparently, pumas. The tour guide very skilfully avoided answering my question on how many of these pumas might be wandering around.

colcacanyon 046

This farming technique comes from before the Incas but they improved the irrigation system so that they could terrace way up the sides. I wouldn’t want to be the unlucky farmer that got stuck up the side of the mountain. Talk about a crap commute!colcacanyon 081 The canyon was breathtakingly beautiful and we got to trek along side the edge for awhile. We did see a few of the giant condors (3 meter wingspan) but they’re so damn fast and I was busy standing there with a stupid grin on my face so I don’t have a photo.

So, after eating about a ton of dust and a few guinea pig chunks (at the buffet), I’m back in Arequipa and bound for Cusco tomorrow.

No comments: