Thursday, October 28, 2010

First week in Lima

So I took a tour of Lima city this past weekend.  It was four hours and cost $28.  Kind of expensive considering that my hotel costs $25 per night and lunch is usually $2 or $3.  It did give me a quick look at the different parts of the city including the slums climbing the surrounding hills and the historic areas.        limatour 001

As with any tour, there is the obligatory museum rush through.  Found out that the oldest civilization discovered in Peru is around 5000 years old.  Every civilization has practiced human sacrifice and they cultivated the first potatoes…over three thousand varieties exist in Peru and I’ve already eaten a few.

limatour 004

La Plaza de Armas is the main square and is flanked by government buildings and a huge cathedral…it’s the same layout in every Latin American town.  Got to watch the changing of the guard which was very musical but behind big thick bars and a line of riot police.

limatour 025

The police presence is heavy everywhere thanks to high crime rates and the history with the Shining Path Terrorists.  Every business has iron gates that you have to be buzzed into before entering and all high end shops have a security guard, even Starbucks.

limatour 014

This cool fountain in the center of the Plaza gets filled up with the local alcohol, Pisco one day a year and everyone can drink for free.

lima 015

Lovers Park, not far from my hostel holds a ‘longest kiss’ contest every Valentine’s Day.

I’ve started my Spanish classes this week and, although they’re not as good as the ones in Mexico, I’ve met some nice people and have a traveling partner for the first week or so of my trip in Peru.

No comments: